View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2018
Stubborn throwback

I actually tried 6.3 first, but A. I couldn't get some packages to install because they wanted pango which wanted something that wanted a specific version of freetype that wasn't available, and B. it had the same problem anyway.

Anyway: yeah, I actually did have a simpler hostname.ath0 like yours and that had the same problem. The more elaborate current one was generated by that old wiconfig shell script that got my wireless issues resolved last time I was using this laptop (under 5.6, I think?) but this time it's not cutting it. I tried wpa_supplicant and wifind as well, but neither resolve the issue.

I don't think the router should be configured in any particularly arcane manner, though I suppose I've been meaning to hook up a proper router anyway and get off the garbage Comcast modem wifi, so it probably wouldn't hurt to just give it a shot and see if that changes anything...