View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th July 2013
Arp Constable

Quote:
When 'X -configure' fails , I mean , it just freezes the machine (eg. iBook g3) is there some other way to generate the already working well xorg.conf file?
Do you mean that X -configure does not generate xorg.conf.new in /root or that when you startx using the newly generated file that your system fails?

If you have an xorg.conf.new it may be helpful to post it. Based on the cpu speed I scanned the wikipedia entry for ibook g3 and they indicate you should have a ati rage video card

You may want to read the r128(4) page and ensure that is the video driver utilized in the device section of your xorg.conf.

It may also be helpful is to look at the .xsession-errors in your home directory.
I tried current on a system with an sis video card and there were error messages about openbox and xinerama (It ran fine in 5.3). Edit2: .xsession is only generated if using an x session manager ie xdm - if you are using startx exclusively you will not have one.

Newer versions of Xorg can utilize entries in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. The advantage of this is that you can just make entries that deal with the problematic area. For example, I used the radeonhd driver on my system for a while and the only entry needed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d was
Code:
Bear$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf
Section "Device"
    Identifier "RadeonCard"
    Driver "radeonhd"
EndSection
My understanding is that for rage128 cards you would use

Code:
Bear$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-rage128.conf
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Rage128Card"
    Driver "r128"
EndSection
Lastly, is this recent entry from the openbsd-x11 mailing list
Quote:
Yes, not only XAA acceleration was removed in X server 1.14, but also
> the implementation of shadowfb used in the nv driver is broken.
>
> Currently you have to disable shadowfb via a small /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> file to get the nv driver working again on affected chipsets.
>
> -- Cut --
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "nvidia broken acceleration"
> Driver "nv"
> Option "NoAccel" "true"
> Option "ShadowFB" "false"
> EndSection
> -- Cut --
You may want to fiddle with "NoAccel" and disabling the FrameBuffer.

Last edited by shep; 24th July 2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: added entry from openbsd-x11 mailing lists, edit 2 qualified .xsession-errors