View Single Post
Old 26th August 2014
Port Guard

Mashing the ENTER key doesn't really produce a workable workstation; perhaps it works well for a server, I am not sure, as I've only ever tried to install a workstation.

Given a 250 GB hard drive, the automatic creation of slices leaves inadequate space in /usr/local for a complete workstation install. One must use disklabel to adjust the slice size (using 'R' to manipulate auto-created slice sizes). The default (mashing the ENTER key) only gave me 8 GB of space; after messing around with sizes, I was able to see that a full install of everything that I may want/need to do, the size was ~12GB.

How many workstations use X? How many of the end-users use X? How many developers use X? Graphical interfaces are not a bad thing...

@kpedersen

I agree, AIX doesn't have a GUI install, and it caused problems for installation for those not familiar with non-GUI, which I was able to fix. Personally, as I have stated elsewhere here, I have NO PROBLEMS with a CLI or curses-based install; I am wondering why, like the OP, there exists no GUI install. My question has been answered... thank you all for the responses; not sure if the OP received an answer for which s/he has been looking...

Last edited by spitfire_ak; 26th August 2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added response to kpedersen