View Single Post
Old 25th May 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
What is Xenocara anyway? I know it's Xorg converted to BSDMake (Instead of GNU autotools), but does it also contain fixes and stuff? In other words, is it really different (better) that vanilla Xorg?

Might it be worth trying to build&run Xenocara on FreeBSD?
As I said it would be nice to have common code base of a fork between BSDs, but FreeBSD team do not seem to be "interested", IMHO even NetBSD will be closer to OpenBSD model, since you can select x11 sets during install (not the version from pkgsrc).

Quote:
Because it's a lot of work?

X is not simple, in fact, it's very complicated, making a Xorg fork will take a lot of manpower ...
Of course its a lot of work, at least at the beginning, but combining man power of all BSD projects does not seem to be such small group.

Quote:
Problem is that application will have to be rewritten, it would be a major paradigm shift ...
It lack x11 compatibility layer, if it would contain that, then it would have a lot bigger chances to succeed imho.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd