View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2012
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
There are a number of available options.

As for other options, there is the SSH protocol. OpenSSH (ssh(1)) is part of OpenBSD's base installation.

VPN (Virtual Private Network) solutions also exist.

OpenVPN is also an application which has been ported to other Unix-like operating systems.

IPsec is also part of OpenBSD's base installation. A number of manpages will need to be studied; starting at ipsec(4) is a good beginning. Configuring IPsec is perhaps more challenging than OpenVPN, but IPsec (as a protocol) is integrated into OpenBSD's kernel. OpenVPN is a userland third-party application.

One of the values of VPN solutions is that this addresses "road warriors" who may be connecting to servers from any IP address. With SSH, you will need to decide how port 22 (or whatever port you choose to use...) will be exposed to the Internet.

The other options I have mentioned are based on fundamental protocols, & may give you more latitude in terms of how you connect remotely.
ssh protocol
Alright I installed putty-0.62-installer.exe but is openssh enabled by default? I understand it may be install in the base installation but is it enabled?

vpn protocol
I installed securepointsslvpn_rc4.exe but is openvpn enabled by default?

IPsec
Am lost, how do l use this to remotely configure the openbsd server? Is this enabled in the base installation?