View Single Post
Old 25th May 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Jacom Meuser responded to Oko's post on the mailing list, he said that OSSv4 is different from OSSv3.. which is implemented via ossaudio(3).

Having OSSv4 as a port would be problematic, it would have to be distributed as a kernel module.. unfortunately it would conflict with the other audio drivers, so users would have to disable them all prior to using it.. making their kernel unsupported by the OpenBSD developers.
Same on FreeBSD/Solaris, first disable built in audio framework, then enable OSS4.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=124321644617877&w=2

Quote:
Personally, I don't think a OSSv4 port is needed.. the current audio framework and drivers work well, a bonus is that they've been audited along with the rest of the code base.. I'm really excited about the new sndio API, most of the major ports have already been modified to utilize it now, so this fulfils the mixing feature that many people mistakenly believe should be done in the kernel.
I havent been following OpenBSD changes for longer time so if you say that it is ok, then its ok

Quote:
OpenBSD supports the LKM framework, kernel modules can be loaded.. securelevel must be <= 0 for it to work though, not sure what you mean about "linking modules before boot", it surely does no such thing.. but as said above, OSSv4 would conflict with the current audio drivers.
Good to know that it supports LKM, I have always heard that it does not, about linking in loader, as it supports LKM, modules were propably just loaded at boot, then securelevel++ and propably that is what some person seen, some modules loading before boot and described it as that, I must admin that I follow OpenBSD development very little, so thanks for clarifying that.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd