View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th August 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

A couple of years ago I considered switching over to one of these kind of Internet connections. At the end of the day, I didn't do it, but nevertheless spent some time investigating how/if it would work with Linux and BSD. That's possibly a bad combination to try to give help from, but there's an idea I wanted to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
On waiting for the ISP to answer me, that is not going to happen, they are next to impossible to communicate with, unfortunately , for me there are not really any options in this area at this time, for a different one either.
A little off topic,but several years ago, when I first started useing this "telcel" and bought the modem, I had a lot of trouble getting it to work on linux, I tried contacting them, as soon as they realized I was using "linux", they said, "What is that ?", "It only works on windows" ,..end of story. However they were wrong, it works fine on linux, and I am sure it will on OpenBsd also,
I think the above describes perfectly the typical situation. But all is not lost. The key is, it works with Windows. How does it do that? Well, my understanding is the following. As you noticed, your physical USB device has several logical devices; one of which is the actual modem. What seems to be done is that one of the other devices actually identifies and acts like a cd-rom, or a cd-rom image. Stored in this image are a bunch of files that Windows will read and use as drivers and/or configuration information. So there may be some kind of text file (*.ini ??) there that contains the necessary Hayes-type commands to send to the modem to connect to your ISP.

If it's possible to access the cd-rom image, it might provide some clues. I don't know how to do that under OpenBSD. With Linux there is something called "usb_modeswitch" that is used. In order to get at these configuration files, it really doesn't matter what OS you use to do that, as long as you can find the files and extract some info from them.

Since I didn't actually get such a modem, of course I never had a chance to experiment further. Possibly this idea might be helpful with a small part of the problem you're facing.

Last edited by IdOp; 14th August 2015 at 11:37 PM. Reason: add an underscore