View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th April 2019
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
All you need to do is attach the device to the test/recovery system, and boot OpenBSD. Any kernel, including the RAMDISK kernel, will scan the disklabel, discover the RAID partition, read the softraid metadata, and will attach it as a virtual sd(4) device. If the mirrored drive is bootable, you could even boot it directly -- the bootloader is integrated with softraid(4), for root-on-RAID and for FDE with the CRYPTO discipline.
Thanks again for tons of great info. I wish all your great posts could be captured in one OpenBSD book...

I have been playing around a bit but not much since I don't have much time lately. I installed 6.4 under Virtual Box. I went through the FAQ steps and created a softraid device and installed. System runs fine of course.

I may be missing something but when I boot the installer, I can't see anything but RAID when I fdisk the first drive in the softraid device. And disklabel borks when I specify the second drive. I just realized I want to check something. Too bad I can't save this as a draft. I'll try a few things and ask better questions. Thanks for your help!