Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2008
UNIX lover

>I would imagine that the vast majority of computer users think that there are three types of computers - those that run Windows, those that run Mac, those that run Linux. They are oblivious to other operating systems and probably even more oblivious to other hardware platforms than the i386 (though many Mac users will probably still be familiar with the ppc).

It depends on your surrounding environment. Of course I have something to do with beginners (DesktopBSD; teaching), but beginners who at least do know what they want. So apart from my mother I have usually nothing to do with people using their computer like some Gucci-bag. Even the Mac OS X users I work with are more scientifically orientied :-)

But it doesn't matter, important is their wish for knowledge. Then you can do something more and push them to a proper direction (Linux, BSD). In the end I just care about a *free* operating system, whether it's Linux or BSD. 'Free as in BSD' is my credo and proprietary software really sucks :-)