View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

I honestly think that the article is completely off base.

DragonFly has no enterprise user base that I am aware of (here on the South-East of U.S. nor on the South-West where I used to live until 3 years ago). Consequently, the user base can not shrink. Until 2.0 the project was not even usable beyond hobby/developer purposes. If Matt can further realize his ideas beyond Hammer I think that the sky is the limit.

OpenBSD is a network appliance and such has a very limited user base. Most very serious people in that business are fully aware of OpenBSD. Deployment is another thing. Very often at least here in U.S. business are very uneasy about deployment of the open source OS without a support (Linux i.e. RedHat is really commercial system just like Windows). In academia is different but even in academia administrative computing is often restricted by various state regulations (for instance we at the University System of Georgia have to follow various state regulations about commercial support and "approved' vendors) that mass deployment of OpenBSD is just not possible. Do we use it? Sure we do but do not on the mass scale.

If OpenBSD had more commercial support it could be widely used on the desktop and in particular on thin-clients. For serious scientific computing no. It is just not intended for that.
NetBSD for scientific computing yes but needs commercial support.

I am surprised that people didn't notice that OpenBSD amd64 now supports up to 64 cores with bsd.mp and in current virtually unlimited memory. It is not still as Solaris (I think supports up to 512 CPUs per mother board) and Linux which supports 256 per mother board but it is obvious that bsd.mp is the future.

By the way OpenBSD supports multiple processors on Alpha, hppa, macppc, sparc64, sgi, amd64, i386 now.