View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2010
Shell Scout

Default BSD code is used where?

Split from original thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
  • There are a multitude of hardware and softare vendors that sell products that have one of the BSDs embedded within them, or components of the BSDs within them, or their own products based on BSD. This includes companies you might have heard of, such as IBM, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, and Apple.
  • Many peripheral hardware equipment vendors, who produce drivers, are actively supporting efforts to use their hardware with one or more of the BSDs. Even the OpenBSD Project, which will never accept any closed source driver into the OS under any circumstance, has hardware vendors actively supporting the project with documentation and best effort consulting services, so that Project developers can produce functioning drivers for these companies' hardware products.
  • Each of the major FOSS BSD Projects provides lists of companies engaged in commercial support and consulting services.
I don't mean to 'troll in' () but does anybody know of where to find some info about this? I mean, it is said everywhere that so many companies use BSD in their products / support BSD, but it's hard to find some examples (aside from the ever mentioned 'yahoo'). Make no mistake, I do believe in BSD and it doesn't make any difference to me who is or isn't using it, but it would be nice - just as a waste of time - who as a company also has smart people who recognize the value of BSD.

Last edited by ocicat; 6th March 2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: off-topic