View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2010
More noise than signal

Off the top of my pointy little head:
  • Apple Mac OS X - FreeBSD userland on the Mach Kernel with a proprietary GUI. OS X also uses FreeBSD's port of OpenSSH from OpenBSD.
  • Microsoft Windows - TCP/IP protocol stack imported from a BSD kernel, then Redmond-ized. I've seen postings mentioning both "NT" and "W2K" as the development point where the stack was imported into Windows. I would believe that all the various NT-based Windows platforms on the market today share that same basic stack. I don't know which particular BSD's kernel code was used as the initial port, nor do I particularly care.
  • Sun Microsystems SunOS -- this -was- a commercial BSD for SPARC. Just sayin'. It was probably the most common commercial BSD installed on the planet, though there were others, including the general purpose BSD/OS for Intel x86.
  • Every commercial Unix out there: AIX, HP/UX, Irix, Solaris, Digital Unix, OSF... you name it, has OpenSSH.
  • Most Linux distributions have OpenSSH available. I won't say -every- Linux distribution, because I'm sure if you hunted among the hundreds of specialized distribs, you might find one that doesn't.
  • Popular turnkey products with BSDs embedded in them include Juniper Networks and Barracuda Networks. There are many others, these are just two that come to mind.

Last edited by jggimi; 6th March 2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: clarity on Windows protocol stack