View Single Post
Old 16th August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator View Post
It looks like you are right ! 30 answers to the poll, OpenBSD gather only few people.
Again, this site is not officially affiliated with the project proper. The results of the poll are only indicative of this community at the time the poll was taken. I also would not say that the results seen here are necessarily representative of the entire OpenBSD community. Statistics like that are not maintained officially or unofficially.
Quote:
This is a shame, and as I said before it must be the reason why there is not enough man power to have stable updates for applications.
If you really want to explore discussion on the future & importance of -stable branch maintenance, search the official misc@ mailing list archives. Roughly once a year, a long protracted thread can be found on the subject.
Quote:
I guess it is safer to run current then.
It depends upon how you define the word "safer", plus you need to be very clear on the collateral responsibilities you will take upon by running -current. For starters, be very aware of what is stated in Section 5.1 of the FAQ.

As a final comment, posting your question on misc@ may not have been seen by the developers most involved in the packages/ports management. That, or given that work at this moment is focused on finalizing OpenBSD 5.0, this was not a matter of highest importance. I can only guess. Yet, if you were really interested in resolving your situation, I would suggest sending mail to espie@.