View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th January 2012
New User

shep:

1. If you download 4.7 image you can use it to make install media for 5.0.

2. The instructions on the website you mention assume you have a working installation of OpenBSD. Note the use of installboot and the bootblocks in /usr/mdec.

What if you have no working installation of OpenBSD to begin with?

In any event, I've found a workaround endorsed by an OpenBSD developer: the vax floppy50.fs loaded via simh.

qemu has too many dependencies for my tastes. It requires Xorg just to compile. And I'm only interested in console use with the -nographics option anyway.

Bochs is another possibility I have not explored.

Still, having to install an emulator just to make install media is jumping through too many hoops, imo.

Unless there is an easy way to install OpenBSD bootblocks without using OpenBSD itself (cat+dd?), my prediction is the OpenBSD developers will eventually grow tired of jumping through hoops to install OpenBSD on hardware that lacks a CD drive. And we will see them generate memstick images for their ftp site, just like NetBSD and FreeBSD.

Of course, another possibility is that eventually emulators in one form or another will become part of the base BSD distributions (e.g., see NetBSD's rump).