View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicyclist View Post
Need to buy a nice postscript printer.
Some time ago I bought a new Brother HL1440, and then was given the DJ870Cxi and a HP4JL. Guess those will last for quite some time since they are just used for home stuff.
I am afraid I will be repeating myself but here is the small list.

Lexmark 120n (entry level Monochrome) around $70. Better go for entry level group work E320 and similar. You can get them for around $100.
Brother 5240 (Group work Monochrome) I found in my local Office Max open box for $105. Really very, very good printer. DeLL 1710n (re-branded Lexmark) you can get used on Ebay with really low page count for around $65. We had them at the University of Arizona. We printed at least 10 000 pages per printer per month.

Any HP mid and high level Laser Monochrome will speak Post Script. Stay a way from cheap HP LJ 1005-1010. They are peace of junk. The old once LJ6, LJ5 are really, really good. Those are the best printers ever made.

Any Lexmark laser printer speaks Post Script. Anything Brother HL 5000 and above. Stay away from 2000 series.

I have wonderful experience with Xerox color Laser Printers. Unfortunately they retail for over $1000.
For home users I like HP 1500 series color Laser. You can get them starting at $200. One could argue that for occasional color printing inkjets are more economical. I had HP Office Jet R65 and OfficeJet R80. They have HUGE
cartridges that you can refill in Walgreens for $10. They are really best inkjets I have ever seen as long as you can find one in decent condition on Craigslist.

I hope you are not using other OS for scanning because OpenBSD rocks as a scanner server.
I have couple of Epson flat bad scanners. They are really, really good even if you are professional photographer let alone you need them for office documents. HPs are so so.

I would not take anything made by Canon. (printers,scanners you name it).
That is just junk.

Last edited by Oko; 1st May 2009 at 07:19 PM.