View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiroot View Post
I increased the u limit for Firefox, but it's still soooo slow.
I mean seriously... 1,6GHz + 2 GB is not that little.
When it comes to processors frequency is not everything. Your Atom has different microarchitecture than mainstream series of Intel processors. It was designed to be cheaper, smaller and energy-saving rather than focused on performance.
Somewhere between 5.9 and 6.0 release there were improvements to OpenBSD which resulted in Youtube working on most recent laptops and mine is included. I have two core Sandy Bridge-based 2,2GHz Pentium-class processor underclocked to 1,3Ghz and I can watch Youtube in Firefox. Switching between videos is rather slow, but when video starts playing I can watch it.
I have also 6GB DDR3 RAM@1333 MHZ though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
It's a fact of life that Firefox is simply slow, full stop. Even on my relatively new Linux i5-6400 machine with 8GB RAM the performance difference between Firefox and Chromium is quite large.
Maybe it's due to extensions installed in yours Firefox? In my experience they slow down Firefox a lot.

Firefox running on OpenBSD is slow, so I use Chromium most of the time. On the other side clean Firefox (without extensions, cache cleared from time to time) is running fine on my Windows system and it should be to running good on Gnu/Linux distros too.