View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post
Please look at the attached images. It describes in a few pics what words would take forever to. It has all my data I would enter it here as it would appear on my desktop.

I'm using OpenBSD 4.7.

I suspect that I've got to link the scanner to a dev/scan0 or something like that.

your help is always appreciated.
I am a heavy scanner user and I have used probably dozen of different scanner on OpenBSD including some HP scanners.
OpenBSD is not Linux.
Code:
 /dev/scan0
doesn't exist in OpenBSD. The error you are showing can do for as simple reason as not adjusting device permissions on
Code:
/dev/uscanner
/dev/usb*
/dev/ugen*
. Sane-backends have to have at least read permission on all the devices.

Code:
chmod 0664 /dev/ugen*
chmod 0664 /dev/usb*
If your scanner is supported by sane-backends most likely reason for not being
found when you start XSane is that
Code:
/dev/uscanner
legacy driver is
attached to scanner as oppose to ugen driver. This is in particular true for
all HP scanners. Canon scanners are long shoot in my experience unless they support scanning to umass storage in which case you do not really need computer to scan. You must disable uscanner driver in the kernel using
config utility. Please, read the documentation. It would help if you post models of the scanners you are trying to use under OpenBSD. If they work on
Linux they do work on OpenBSD unless you were using something like Ubuntu in which case it is very possible that you were using some proprietary drivers which
are Linux specific.