View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th February 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Creation was declined then because the amount of traffic specific to DragonFly was essentially zero. From what I see by searching the archives today, most mentions of DragonFly closely stem from comments such as "I can't seem to get support for device xyz in ijk BSD, so maybe I will try DragonFly..."

It does not appear that the data leading to the earlier decision has markedly changed.

I know that proponents for creating a new forum will go all Field of Dreams on us stating that (new) traffic will spontaneously appear once such a forum is created. However, the data does not particularly support this claim.

To date, the Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like forum has long been set up as a breeding ground for emerging members of the *BSD family. When we see sufficient traffic warranting separation, we will create a new forum.
Forum is yours and you can, of course. do whatever you please with it. However using your logic you could as well close NetBSD and FreeBSD sections. I have being a member of this forum since almost day zero and the number/quality of NetBSD posts have never warranted a separate section. Similarly after the creation of a separate FreeBSD forum the amount of FreeBSD traffic this forum receives is negligible.

DragonFly BSD is a rightful member of BSD ecosystem and my hope was that creating a separate section will foster curiosity for this OS among people who stumble onto this forum. The number of new/original and interesting technologies coming out of DragonFly camp is only second to OpenBSD IMHO and that certainly should be respected.

Last edited by Oko; 29th February 2016 at 04:49 AM.