View Single Post
Old 30th January 2009
Shell Scout

It's me again

So, I'm this far away from jumping from a bridge: my my, what a horror it is to pick hardware

So, it's almost wrapped up, except for the PSU. Earlier, I already decided to follow your recommendations to buy Seasonic, so that's not the question. The question is: how much watt?

The config so far is:
- Intel CD E8400
- Asus P5Q-E
- 4 GB Kingston Ram (2x2)
- Arctic Freezer cooler
- Creative Audigy sound card
- Geforce 9600GT
- Seagate 7200.11 750 GB (SATA)
- 1 DVD-rom
- 1 DVD-writer
- 8 zillion all in one card-reader incl. floppydrive
- LPT-card
- Extra USB-adaptor (to get most of the 12 USB-ports on the mobo to be accessible from the outside)

So, I am in doubt whether or not the Seasonic S12II 430W will do? The problem is, the guys over at the computer store remain that it is sufficient (they say this will use 300W), but I tend to (strongly) disagree. I've input as much as possible in one of those online 'wattage-calculators', and that one says that if I later extend the system with 3HDD's (RAID), put in 'some slack' for future extra PCI-cards(2, for example, an extra NIC and an extra whatever), and take into account the aging factor of the PSU (seems to be less efficient over time) of 25% (recommended according to the site), I arrive at 616W

Now, two things are important here:
1. I have no clue what I am doing when it comes to hardware, and:
2. I have absolutely no clue what I am doing when it comes to hardware.

And, maybe, as nr 3, I shouldn't be trusting these 'website watt-calculators', but, then again, see points 1 & 2.

So, with the above components and taking into account 'your average future additions to the system', do you all think 430W will do? Will it be the 616W the site said? Or can I suffice with 500W

I'm almost there, could anybody perhaps tell me what it the wisdom to do here?

Thank you - again (!) - very much in advance

PS1: I'm not really somebody who says 'if I need a bigger PSU later, I'll buy it then'; I'd rather make sure the system is ok right now, as to avoid double costs.
PS2: I need a holiday break now because of all the endless hours that have gone into this
PS3: the site that calculates the watts I used is: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp