View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Did you add yourself into operator group? I would imagine that Jake when he ported K3b to OpenBSD adjusted configuration so that users from operator group can burn CDs and DVDs.

You can check whole conversation on miscATopenbsd and portsATopenbsd that we had which lead to his porting effort. I am almost sure that operator can burn CD without extra privileges but you can adjust those rather easily.

For burning CDs K3b uses cdrtools. You might want to read man pages for
cdio from the base of the system as I think it does better job than K3b.
K3b uses mkisofs from cdrtools to create iso images. You can create iso images by the utility called mkhybrid from the base of the system. To convert mp3-s to wav files K3b uses libmad library. You can do that directly
with madplay using the same library or with lame.

To burn DVDs you need to use growisofs which is the part of dvd+rw-tools. K3b is only front and for it. It is even easier to use growisofs from the command line than from K3b.

Before you do burning make sure you know the difference between character and block devices. A single device can work in both character and block regime so it has dual notation on OpenBSD rcd0 for row character CD/DVD device and cd0 for the same block CD/DVD device.

If you must use GUI I recommend TkDVD which uses light Tcl/Tk. It does what it needs to do and has no
heavy Qt dependencies like K3b. K3b is never the less has more options than any of the GUI burners.
There are quite a few other front ends for burning. Gnome baker is also ported.

Cheers,
OKO

Last edited by Oko; 13th November 2008 at 01:43 AM.