View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo974 View Post
i ve tried dd to backup rwd0, i saw it copied not only the system and datas but the entire partition...
Backing up rwd0 will back up all partitions which reside on the disk. You may want to study the output of mount(8) (specifying no options...) to determine what partitions exist. At a minimum, you have one partition which houses the entire filesystem. The upper limit of partitions disklabel(8) can address on a single drive is 16.
Quote:
I only want to backup the partition (only system, datas, nothing else) like Norton ghost can do... Is there a way to do that ?
It sounds like you are looking for a pre-canned solution. Although there is a g4u project which was started by a big proponent of NetBSD, note that this was never ported to OpenBSD so it is not clear whether it ever reached production system quality.
Quote:
What i want : backup openbsd+datas to restore on an over hard disk and boot on.
Why do you want to repeatedly backup the system? Why not simply back up the data itself? This will take far less space & time. Again, consider the well tested solution of dump(8) & restore(8) as has been mentioned before. tar(1) is another possibility.

Lastly, it sounds like you are in a mixed shop of OpenBSD & Windows, hence your question about Ghost. You will be helping yourself by becoming familiar with the way Unix/OpenBSD treat disks. Taking the time to study Section 14 of the FAQ will have benefits down the road:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html