View Single Post
Old 7th June 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrea View Post
I can still boot into Windows OK but selecting the Ubuntu entry in the Windows boot menu takes me to a black screen with a flashing white cursor just as it did before.
This is the symptom you should be focusing upon.

The solution I provided was specific to a single disk environment. In the NT 4.0 days, the ARC notation for drives allowed for multiple drives in a system using boot.ini. A quick look through the sources I consulted to figure out the single disk environment with bcdedit does not mention multiple disks. I suspect the information is out there, but I have not found it. I also don't have a two disk system to experiment anyways.

My recommendation to you is three-fold:
  • Search through Microsoft's TechNet for information related to booting from multiple disks. MSDN or Microsoft's support site should be checked as well.
  • Ask specifically on Microsoft's free support forums how to use bcdedit to boot multiple versions of Windows on multiple disks. I would also recommend not mentioning non-Microsoft operating systems as this may decrease anyone's motivation to help you.
  • You may want to look into using Grub as the boot manager instead of Microsoft's. I vaguely recall reading where Grub can manage multiple disks, but I remember nothing more, nor where I saw this information.

Secondarily, attempting to use Microsoft's boot manager on one drive & Grub on the other sounds disastrous. Use one or the other.