View Single Post
Old 26th February 2014
PrinceCruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
This is closer to my experience with Linux users. I was the only Linux user (used slackware for a while last year) I ever met who wanted hammer. I don't think many Linux users know much about it other than as something like btrfs or ZFS that runs on something called DragonFlyBSD, and you're lucky if they've even heard of DragonFly. Justin Sherrill's done a great job with his news summaries in publicizing DragonFly by being compelling even to non-DragonFly users, but my feeling is that he hasn't yet broken out beyond BSD users. (Not to say that's even his goal, but it could happen eventually I'd guess. There just aren't that many really good tech. news aggregators.)
Slackware user here too but I had my eyes on DragonflyBSD/HAMMER since the day I knew about it.

Quote:
What I've also come across is lack of interest in any FS in this category among home users and hobbiests, the feeling being that these features are only relevant to servers. I've also seen less interest in ZFS than in btrfs and simultaneous slagging of btrfs.
This.
While being a part of the discussions in various Linux/tech forums, I realized that a lot of Linux users who are aware of the HAMMER file system are not really excited about it mostly because for a home user it doesn't matter much to use so much advanced features of hammer, ZFS or btrfs, if only they do is watch movies and browse online.
And in server space, most of them and even I'd be cautious to come out of my comfort zone of ext* or xfs filesystems.

Regards.