View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd April 2012
bsdstudent

Hi jgimmi !
I must thank you for your interesting directions and helpful notes and I've learnt much from your posts and Ocicat's .. since I'm still at odds with some concepts, some of my questions would sound ridiculous (because vague or irrelevent or badly phrased ..) .. I've been thinking that by knowing the experts daily practices I would start using the OS correctly and avoid unlearning bad habits later ..
Quote:
Please take a moment to read those questions again. Note, in your second reading -- how much does having an OpenBSD workstation have to do with the answers?
some people say OpenBSD is more relevant as a server not as a worksation .. Am I wrong to think that an ultra-secure server can be an ultra secure workstation , optimized for client services .. does the word workstation exclude anything that I asked about ??
The story goes : I advocated OpenBSD to a friend of mine who knows nothing much about computer science & engineering .. but he was informed that OpenBSD proudly carries the "Security first" motto .. so how can I materialize this to him ? by providing examples pertaining to{www-ftp-mail} .. (I helped with the first steps as installing,setting network,desktop setting, etc)
but soon he started asking : what does OpenBSD offer than Mandiva doesn't ? (he once used Mandriva and loved the gui !!)
I answered : security,cryptography,filesystem tidiness,audited software ..
when he asked me further about secure practices, I came here .. :-) ..