View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator View Post
# make FORCE_UPDATE=Yes update
I've never used make update when updating anything, because that's used for bulk updates, and either I'm doing fresh builds of select ports, or, I want to control what ports get updated. For both changed ports and unchanged ports with updated dependent libraries, I typically use make package followed by pkg_add -ir.

If I am building a group of packages, I complete all the package builds and follow with pkg_add -iu.

Is this best practice? I'm unsure. It works for me.
Quote:
- What should I do for evolution-data-server to be correctly linked to eggdbus-0.6p1 ?
I'm going to guess: evolution-data-server was NOT rebuilt. That port had no update, and your make found a matching package at your $PKG_PATH, and skipped the build. It's just a guess, of course.
Quote:
- How come new packages came along while I update ? (CUPS for example in the case of Firefox)
New versions of software may have new dependencies, but more likely, CUPS is a build dependency, but not a run dependency.
Quote:
- Is there a way to send the output of the out-of-date script to the update process ?
Yes. You can edit the output to look like one of the SUBDIR Makefiles in any of the ports tree branches, such as /usr/ports/databases/Makefile

Last edited by jggimi; 11th July 2011 at 06:18 PM.