View Single Post
Old 10th March 2011
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk View Post
There is OpenCL, available via the closed source fglrx/catalyst driver (on Windows and Linux) for all r700/r800 GPUs (this particular card falls into the r800 category). And, despite Oliver_H's claim, the fglrx driver is not of low quality and works just fine here on X server 1.9.* (I have not tried 1.10 yet).

Adam
Well, I know you're an ATI-fanboy, that's fine -- I'm sometimes a big fanboy myself, but I'm talking of a professional point of view. You know, the real world use. fglrx is defective by design (this is a know fact in the Linux community!) and OpenCL compared to nVidia's offer is just laughable in terms of maturity, support, etc.. So, I'm not a developer (at least not for such tasks), I'm using the mentioned software, I'm working with those people, two of them are FreeBSD users. I'm not talking about games and Oko also doesn't ask for games or 3D screensavers.

From my dmesg:

drm0: <ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430> on vgapci0

FreeBSD moria 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Thu Feb 17 02:41:51 UTC 2011 root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

Hope that's enough to satisfy you. But that's my machine at home, I like FreeBSD, heck I'm even satisfied with the free ATI driver. But you're referring to apples and I'm referring to oranges. And to support my common saying about FreeBSD, read this article: http://lwn.net/Articles/429597/