View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Ok so the OP is stating that because those "junior admins" that he may unleash on the box may not have the capabilities to learn and properly run the proper commands for proper administration, the OP wants to not only learn how to place the right configuration-setting script in place for the said "junior admin", but also know how to properly write the proposed script by learning a scripting language.

I will say this, and while this sounds a little harsh it's not meant to be (just cutting to the chase as they say), you are underestimating the difference between teaching someone how to do a minimal amount of proper user-configuration-administration, and learning how to program. I think, while you may be decent as some forms of shell scripting, learning something like PERL to the degree that you will need to learn it to effectuate the type of script you desire is harder than you think. Worse, it does nothing for your organization in terms of teaching them proper administration skills- it horse-blinds them into your one-off script. If the script breaks or you aren't available, your organization is left scratching it's collective head.

In an hour of properly pre-documented training, you can teach said "junior admins" to do what you want them to do, and skip the whole "learning a language" part and get on with your life. Then, if you are still interested in learning to program (let's say in PERL, which would be perfect for the task you state) you can go and do that and have a nice sample task with which to help teach yourself. And then you won't be (to use another cliche) be putting the cart before the horse.

If you are not thinking that this advice is good for you, that's fine. I would then suggest that after learning a scripting language and creating the superscriptiness you desire, you place said launching of script into the .profile of the user account that the junior admin will use to get this work done... whenever the admin logs in, the script executes. But again, teaching them I think is a better path for all involved.