Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 29th July 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muflon View Post
I'm sorry for braking these norm. I removed my post.
I'm sorry to see that you deleted your post. My comments were intended to only provide context to PrinceCruise's earlier admonition. It is common for newcomers to this site to resurrect old threads, which is fine, but to expect that providing new information is going to be read by the thread's originator(s) may be expecting too much. Regular members will sometimes point this out (as I do on occasion...) only to reset expectations, not set policy.

Be aware that the value of this site is not only in what current discussion are taking place. Most members of this site spend time searching through old threads for information which may not have been important to them at the time, but may take on a higher importance later on. I search old threads frequently to help clarify to myself fundamental issues which I may have overlooked when the discussion was happening. Because we don't delete old threads, providing further context, as your deleted messsage did, was a welcomed addition which provided extra value.

As I stated before, resurrecting old threads is not the norm, but that doesn't mean that new information might not be beneficial to readers. I hope you reconsider your deletion.