View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd January 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
A couple years ago I had ADSL, the company went bankrupt and finally I settled on cable.. and I've never looked back.

Neither of my modems have had any sort of "Web configuration" functionality, so, I can't relate.. but it would be quite frustrating to have a "pseudo-firewall" forced upon you.

If you log into this router, can you find any setting labelled DMZ? that would allow you to pass all traffic to a system running *BSD+pf.

Sorry..
It does offer DMZ, but it will then only forward everything to a single host -- and I don't have a single host that physically has enough network connections to service the rest of the network. I have on my network 2 desktops, 1 laptop which uses both wired and wireless connection, and potentially a new networked printer (I'm waiting for better sale prices). None of those setups has more than one ethernet port.

Having poured over internet e-testimonials, looking at what (pitifully limited) documentation is provided from AT&T, playing around with the online modem configuration, I think that there is not an ideal solution to my setup. I can sidestep the modem's inanity to do what I need at a minimum to be done, but it's not all that pretty.

An ideal solution would most likely entail me buying some new equipment (like a nice sokeris computer) or extending one of my desktops (i.e., get a couple extra NIC cards). It's fun getting new stuff, but it's not fun having to pay for it (especially since I just gave all my money to the University).
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)