View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idefix View Post
I'm a hobbyist, not a professional, if that's relevant.
It is. Because you need to find something that feels/seems natural to your sense of logic such that you stick with moving forward. What we often see is people with a great deal of exuberance at the beginning fade due to a lack of a clear goal which propels them through the hills & valleys of the learning curve they need to surmount. So if C seems more natural to what you want, use it. If not, use a different language.

Java isn't the only alternative. I would suggest Python because it is devoid of a lot of syntactic clutter that bogs a number of people down. You should also consider Perl because it has a mature third-party library where some modules specifically target Web spidering.
Quote:
...someone told me to take a higher level language like Java, because C is for system programming. Java is very good in accessing the internet, html processing,... all things I will need.
Java is a reasonable alternative. Some call it bloated because their perspective is biased from experiences in different languages. All languages have to market themselves to become institutionalized, & Sun chose to throw in lots of libraries. Maybe some target your goals, & most likely a number don't. Java is a big language today, & no one knows all of its libraries. Knowing it all shouldn't be your goal. What should be your goal is to learn what is needed to solve problems in the domain you are interested.
Quote:
What's your opinion about this? Is C suited for AI-programming? Is Java better?
I'm not convinced this is the right question. My suggestion would be look through the CPAN modules for Perl & see if any meet your needs. If any do, then the answer is much more clear. You can find CPAN at the following address:

http://cpan.org/