View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Default Running your own web server

Do any of you run and maintain your own web server? For a small to medium site (mostly a personal site) is it worth it or is it simpler to just go with commercial web hosting? Do you find that maintaining the server becomes a hassle?

I have a site (that will work if I ever finish writing the html) that is coming up for renewal. I am debating whether or not to remain with my web hosting company or to to host the site myself using dyndns. I currently have a spare PC that can be used for a server, so that's not an issue.

I did some quick calculations and the cost of my current hosting plan and the cost of just the electricity to run the server 24/7 (based on 50 watts usage - and 10 cents per kWh) comes out comparable.

On the one hand, I like the idea of hosting my own site and having it run on NetBSD (I don't know of that many - if any - commerical hosting that uses NetBSD) and having the learning experience, but I'm busy and I don't know how much maintenance is required (setting it up initially is fairly straightforward) and how much hassle keeping up with security would be.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)