View Single Post
Old 11th November 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Actually, Vista isn't as bad as it's painted to be. Most of the criticism come from:
1) Windoze users who can't just grasp the idea that Vista doesn't let the system resources sit idle and instead preloads some of your installed apps so they start faster and releases resources as they're needed by apps not preloaded (something *NIX have been doing ever since it has existed, but windoze users never knew it since DOS (from where windoze came to be) had a very primitive resource handling system)
Personly, I think this is a stupid feature, for many different reasons, but most importantly because it yet another thing no one has anoy real control (Or even understanding) over, and more importantly because it doesn't seem to do a very good job since Vista is pretty slow, even the new Windows 7 preview/beta bulds are are faster.

Quote:
2) Mac and Linux users who haven't used the thing but want to just bash it b/c bashing M$ and it's software is the cool thing to do among themselves.
You haven't used it either .... So I find this a very odd argument coming from you.

Quote:
[...]they need to make the current computers and OS's look insecure and bad, which means Vista has to get axed (XP was already on it's way out when they decided this), also lots of the malware seen latelly is made by them to further their plans which is to exacerbate the corporate heads so they embrace the "new" platform that M$ is gonna be offering. [...]
Yes, and aliens are controlling the government, Apollo 11 was a hoax, and the earth is flat.

Maybe the SpamAssasing and SpamFighter etc. people are also sending out spam to sell their products? And the police are committing crime to get bigger budgets?

Really, this is just stupid, malware has been a problem plaguing Windows for many years, long before Windows Vista was even close to being released, and the Windows XP default settings simply are extremely insecure.

Quote:
BTW2: I don't have any version of windoze, I know Vista from some of the college lab computers
So you haven't really used it ... Please don't get experience and knowledge get in the way of screaming your ``opinion'' on the internet.

More seriously, my main problems with Vista are:
o Those @#$ confirmation boxes every time, you often get TWO for a single executable, and quite often they're pushed to the background automatically, you notice the application isn't responding, and you notice the window in the taskbar, and it's AARRGG.

o I really dislike explorer in Vista ... I actually liked explorer in Windows 2000 and XP, but in Vista you can't really configure explorer properly, and it's packed with some pretty useless ``features''.

o I think the control panel is actually more difficult in Vista, it's difficult to find things, and many things aren't logically organized, it's even worse than the `new' XP control panel because the `classic' control panel also sucks in Vista.

o Network configuration is a pain, it shows that the Windows people really tried to make it user friendly (Remember that `user-friendly' means `easy for your 80-yr old mom to use' in the Windows world), but I find it difficult and cumbersome to use.

o It's so slow, even on modern PC's it's pretty slow and eat loads of RAM.

... And lots of smaller things ...