View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2008
Administrator

I would choose 64bit OS only for hardware that has more then 3.5GB of RAM, but that also depende how specific motherboard handles memory remap over 4GB, some motherboards wound show 2.8GB RAM of 4GB avialable, and some would show 3.8GB so its also very hardware/BIOS dependant.

All my hardware has at most 2GB of RAM so I do not see any point in using 64bit OS, the only exception is OpenSolaris here which detects at boot if your hardware is 64bit capable, and if so, then it boots as 64bit OS, but it can be set manually to boot as 32bit OS also.

There are some Ports that will not run on 64bit as WINE or some codecs of Mplayer which does not encourage me to go into 64bit.

I do not see any point of using 64bit instead of more native RAM support isntead of handicapped PAM.

The only ground for me that is 64bit ready is servers, but for server that has 2GB of RAM I also do not see the point of going 64bit, but I would like to hear your voices here.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd