View Single Post
Old 9th December 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_h
I think I'll try to test the 7.1 beta from a virtual box to check if these error messages are away or not.
virtual box emulates BIOS

Quote:
There's something else I don't understand : shutdown/reboot the computer is only possible when logged in as root in a terminal for instance and typing the command (shutdown -h now). There are no choices in the graphic menus, which could be practical. Do you have any hint on where to find a solution for that ?
What graphic menus, if there is no such menus, create them (PC-BSD is much more user friendly)

Quote:
I found how to set a French keyboard with accents in rc.conf (keymap knob). But there's one kind of keyboard which is not the available keyboards listed in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps

I would like to edit a kbd file to add some keys but I don't know if it is possible in such a simple way (to add a new keyboard layout). I would like to have the "ss" symbol when striking altgr and b together, for instance, instead of getting it with altgr and s. Also liked to have some maths symbols I use quite often (divide, multiply etc.).
in syscons, the FreeBSD virtual console emulator, it is done via kbdmap/vidfont there are source code and explanation how to create new keymap files - but if you dont use FreeBSD console at all just ignore it. X11 is another story - the same files are on any other unix,linux OS.

Quote:
What's the link between the rc.conf keymap knob and the setxkbmap command ? This last one uses rules that can be found here : /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/. What's the relation between these files and the /usr/share/syscons/keymaps ones ?
rc.conf is completly unrelated to X11(setxkbmap) eg. syscons have its own settings and X11 its own.