View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th December 2009
./dev/null

Default VMWare Workstation 7 with OpenBSD 4.6 i386 guest

Greetings all, there was a few recent posts about virtualizing and some questions about tweaking and such came up, this is done on the Windoz version, i can create a Fusion version if anyone cares.

I decided to take some screen shots of what i do to "tweak" a virutual machine in preperation for an OpenBSD install, there is nothing fancy here just some options that i use to help with performance.

The VM BIOS section i so done the same on all my virutual machines of every operating system, so it is applicable to every install (with the odd exception).
The setup of the VM are also almost the same with some exceptions that i will try to list along with the photo.

Begin with creating a virtual machine, always choose custom, i also choose "I will install the operating system later" and "next".

Choose "other" then "FreeBSD" (use 64bit if you like it works fine), select the location you would like to keep the configs (not the actual data).

Select the amount of cores you would like to use (depending on how many you have) I used just 1, next bring you to the memory, i used 512 (if you have more and require a GUI, use more).

Next is the networking, here is where you can specify things like host only networking or none at all (effectivaly cutting off your VM from the world).

For I/O type i use the default recommended LSILogic, the next screen brings you to disk options, here is where you can select "Use Physical Disk" to make use of an actual hard disk (better I/O guaranteed).

I just recently tried an SDCard (as my physical disk) but it would not write to it properly (under Windows 7, i had XPPro sp3 compatability mode and ran as administrator, no go) and did not install at all.

I choose "Create New Virtual Disk" and click next, i DO NOT use the recommended IDE and select SCSI instead. In the next screen i used 5GB for this example and i made sure i selected "Allocate Disk Space Now", this REALLY helps with disk permance as well.

Click next to create the disk, this will take a minute or so depending how much space you allocated and how fast your disks are.