View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2011
Disgruntled desktop user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Windows thin clients use RDP or Citrix ICA.
If you have Sun Ray thin client it uses Sun's proprietary Appliance Link Protocol.

Thin clients pre-installed with Linux often use Citrix ICA proprietary protocol or
NoMachine NX (free client side but paid server).

Most recently Ericom Blaze is gaining popularity because of the picture frame rate transfer speed (important for multimedia) Blaze runs on Windows, OS X and Linux.

If you go with BSDs the choice on the thin client side is RDP or NoMachine. I heard that Citrix does run via Linux on NetBSD. Ericom did offer to compile Blaze even for OpenBSD if I buy couple thousand licenses (I work for the University of Georgia System).
Thanks, Oko. My clients will be Linux or Solaris Intel. The servers will be Solaris or Open/FreeBSD Sparc. Do you guys know how these thin clients are different from vnc? Do they use a "better" protocol? I don't need multimedia support, my main requirement is to access Solaris Studio IDE and a full desktop preferably on more than one client at the same time because I want to provide a development environment to some of my friends using these servers.
BSDForums.org refugee #27
Multibooting with LILO