View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2010
Banned

I'm such an idiot. I've spent the last two weeks playing with ifconfig and found the problem was my lack of understanding with ifconfig.

I'm currently logged in to this forum with my OpenBSD box. My HP amd64 with an Intel CoreDuo.

Here's what I did to make it possible.

1 -- at the command line to use the urtw0 usb network adapter. type:

sudo ifconfig urtw0 nwid "nameLikeStarbucks" nwkey 0xaf987af987 255.255.255.0 NONE mode g

2 -- explaination: nwid -> is the network id or network alias name of burger king or mcdonald's the place that's giving you free wifi. nwkey is the hexadecimal key which always begins with 0x and is followed by six digits or letters from a - f. Here at this hotel it's the pass key. the 255.255.255.0 is your netmask if you're using DHCP and you prolly are if you're using free wifi. you can put NONE after the netmask and ifconfig if give you what that NONE paramter is automatically. I forgot what it's for, but since I found the work around I'm not buggin.

3 -- wait and watch your light start to blink on your usb network adapter. when it stops blinking and stays on, you've got an active connection to the network you're trying to reach or the nwid. (( this is the part that got me. i didn't know you had to wait for like 30 seconds to have the network connection become solid. it's not an instantaneous thing. ))

4 (for i just use this one simple line in my /etc/hostname.urtw0 :

dhcp

( that's it )

now, at the command prompt type:

sudo dhclient urtw0

it will look for a lease from the network nwid for about 1 - 20 seconds and tell you it recieved an offer. if you do a 'ifconfig urtw0' you should see "active" somewhere in all that.

start up X windows using your favorite wm and you're surfing the web like i am right now with your openbsd box.

Here's something cool to remember and think about. After you do this and get comfortable with ifconfig, there are some cool things you can do with it like TUNNELING. And, I think my friends the internet just opens up a little bit more than
it did the day before yesterday.

Hooo yaaahhhh!!!