Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 7th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Personally I don't care what OS people use, as long as they are happy with it, as long as it doesn't drive me crazy, and as long as it doesn't cause problems for me. For example, 90-98% of software I need works under FreeBSD.

10-15% would or might be probmatic to use on a non POSIX-related system.

If it would be the otherway around, I'd bloody well have to use something else for my OS, port the apps, or become someone who virtually only runs code they wrote, which is far from practical these days.
I don't care either, so long as they are happy with it. Also, I've noticed much like you, although you only mentioned FreeBSD, that a strong majority of software that I need is available in some usable form on Unix operating systems. I can go from FreeBSD to some Linux distribution to NetBSD to Solaris to Mac OS X and still fulfill my needs. I don't even see Flash as a major obstacle. I need Flash just to watch Youtube videos occasionally, and swfdec plays those very well.