Thread: Embedded.
View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I believe the "1 1" must be "0 0" for read only filesystems.
I don't want to discount that.
After all you saved my bacon getting pxe working.

I don't think this will help though.
The first number (fs_freq) is the dump(8) identifier. Apparently this allows for different levels of backup (0 to 9). I suspect that it is usual to back up / even if it is read only.
The second number (fs_passno) is used by fsck(8) to work out the order of checking on boot. If the number is 0 apparently the file system is not checked. I suspect that / should be checked even if it is read only.

I guess that's why all the docs I read for doing this (mounting a filesystem in RAM) had "0 0" for the memory filesystem. They also had "1 1" for the CF.
Hey, I'll give it a whirl ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
With the default installation, the following hierarchies need to be read/write:
/root
/etc
/home
/var
/tmp
/dev
You should either make these MFS, or make appropriate adjustments. /tmp is the only one you've accounted for. You may also want to set the mode for /tmp to 1777.
I am populating my mfs with the /tmplate folder containing copies of /var and /dev. And of course I have got /tmp done.
This is the minimum according to (user) documentation.
One guide recommends /root also. I suspect I don't need it. Nor /home. Can you confirm or deny.
Are you sure I need /etc read write?

I think the big problem is I don't have symlinks yet.
It seems obvious to me that the kernel is gonna still look for these folders in the usual places until I tell it otherwise. :]
I suspect when I get that done it will be okay ...

Best wishes.