View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th December 2020
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome! I can't address FreeBSD issues, as I have no experience with the OS, but I can attempt to answer some other questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diortem View Post
Anyway, what I want to do is learn dev-ops.
In my opinion it doesn't matter what OS you pick; choose your DevOps tools and install them on any OS they support that you're already familiar and comfortable with. DevOps is an outgrowth of Agile Development and is much more a social and procedural transition than technical for any businesses which adopt it.

It alters a business's processes, communications, and governance. It also alters personnel roles and responsibilities for application development, deployment, and operations, and formal education and certification will do more for any DevOps-related career than learning any new OS.
Quote:
Looking at BSD licensing anyone can put my code to use? Even corporations? And charge for it? Am I reading this right?
Yes you are. To quote from a discussion of licensing policy at the OpenBSD Project:
Quote:
The original Berkeley copyright poses no restrictions on private or commercial use of the software and imposes only simple and uniform requirements for maintaining copyright notices in redistributed versions and crediting the originator of the material only in advertising....Berkeley rescinded the 3rd term (the advertising term) on 22 July 1999. Verbatim copies of the Berkeley license in the OpenBSD tree have that term removed. In addition, many 3rd-party BSD-style licenses consist solely of the first two terms.
The OpenBSD web page cited above may be of further help, as it discusses copyright classifications and summarizes a wide variety of different licenses used in open source works. Keep in mind that you can select any type of source or operational license you want for any software you develop as an original work, regardless what OS it runs on. But if you want to integrate your work with others' work in any fashion, you'll need to adopt their licensing with their work.
Quote:
....why would one choose OpenBSD to FreeBSD when FreeBSD has a security-focused way about things, too?
These two OS projects are both BSD-based, but they have been on separate development paths for the last 28 years. There is some cross-adaptation of code between them now and then, but each project has its own goals and its own priorities.

It may help to consider that they are each completely separate cohesive operating systems. BSD is entirely unlike Linux in this way, as Linux has many distributions but each shares a common kernel.