View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2008
Shell Scout

I also forgot. The reason for wanting the boot/shutdown splash thingie is that sometimes other ppl in my family (all of them computer illiterates to the nth) want to use my computer and if it happens to be off, chances are they´ll freak out when they see the kernel text messages going on (they´re used to winxp´s boot screen and any type of text based boot screen makes them think the computer is broken). I say that because a few years ago (back when linux was at kernel 2.2 and linux devs had the "we hate graphical bootscreens" attitude) I installed linux in the family computer (didn´t have a computer for myself) next to the OEM preloaded win98 and one specially bad day my older sister turned the thing on and didn´t select "DOS" in lilo, she came running all freaked out thinking that I had broken the computer, and later that day I realized to my surprise that she booted into linux and got scared of the text based boot process. I had been trying to get a nice OS with fully graphical boot and shutdown process just to keep this from happening again (and no, teaching them how it works is not an option, for reasons I can´t grasp they just can´t learn anything related to Opensource software at all (they can´t even learn how to use firefox for christ sake, trying to get them to learn BSD is IMO pretty much impossible)).

Also, a question (a bit OT I guess) is there any issue with Ubuntu, or is just the forums (I´m not member in them, but I have visited a few times and it seems pretty much similar to other linux fora I have visited, and even the old bsdforums (R.I.P))?