View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2011
Package Pilot

Thanks BSDfan666, I thought I was going crazy. Everyday I'm on top of new undocumented stuff (actually, old stuff and no warning or info of new replacements) and most links are not dated so how is one suppose to know other than reading 30 years worth of changes. If you had not help me along these past few weeks I be stupid forever trying to make something work that can't work. I'm still trying to figure out something from child-hood and I need nothing else added.

Yes it is one of those new (cheap-made) router and there are features at AT&T end that allow for some settings but for how long is the question and some are blocked... I pull the plug on all of them since posting, I lost dsl and got it back. I jump up the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) that I read about in Open-BSD PF from 1492 to 1500 ... it burped but DSL is still working. According to Open-BSD PF that's was a serous issue. I play ball hard because it's was nothing compared to what I did with BSD in under 3 days. It took the chicken out of me.

Get what, remember the stuff you said in this post...

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=6005

Since than, I tried every sequence possible and one of those accidental three-line sequence actually renewed the lease, TWICE before my eyes. I double checked and it worked ... but I was still trying to do something else at the moment "How to set 1000base with full-duplex" .. So I missed it and never been able to remember those steps for the life of me. I had to finally post this thread.

When I stubble upon it again, I'll record it here. I always do. I might loss my computer but you guys will be here until the end of time. At lease I know for sure it can be done because I checked the lease all day long for each action until I understood the baseT thing and a whole lot more. Than came static-ip and renew.

About the -r, it's the 11th line up in the link I posted above and it was used up to FreeBSD 6.0 according to other threads I found with the same command and -r. The best one was dated 2004, but I lost it.

Anyway, now I know how to deal with BSD ... once I learn 9.0 I may never upgrade for the next 10 years, including security patches if it screw up any of the present commands, documents or speed. Beside, not everyone need every single thing anyway. I have my own security tricks.

It only destroy what it took a user a life-time to learn. Even Windows let the commands live for 5 years before breaking peoples apps, hearts and minds. But I got a felling this is the new day. 9.0 and others of 2011 -2014 will be popular like 6.0 once was for the next twenty years I bet. It's like what python did, they crash the pass "BUT" documented all-new-stuff from day one of the big switch. I swear, I learn more about networking in three days than I did in my Network+ class. For now on it's all about tech with out the love

Just wanted to say thanks again BSDfan666

Thanks a million