View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I used to use FreeBSD for everything but I do miss the movies/videos in flash that I don't have to try and download. When I signed up with a host for the first time, and they used Linux, I finally decided I needed to get one.

I went with Ubuntu because it seemed easy to install, and it was. I can transfer my web apps to it from my FreeBSD box, recompile, and upload to my hosts servers and everything runs. But I'm not convinced Ubuntu is right for me. Just over an hour ago, I tried uninstalling sqlite cause I didn't take the time to figure out how to do a 'portupgrade' and found out installed half of userland which depended on that version of sqlite (not including v1 and v2 which were also installed).

Since my host is running CentOS, I thought I'd install it on one of my other boxes while running Ubuntu on this laptop. Then try Debian and Arch.

Ubuntu doesn't want you to run without a desktop. I prefer to go to the desktop when I feel like it. I do not know if doing that on Debian or Arch would be like FreeBSD where I just 'startx' and I'm there.

I didn't like having all the stuff installed by default with Ubuntu. Actually, on this laptop I used Wubi but I haven't looked yet to see if Wubi just loads more stuff or not.

If FreeBSD ran the latest flash well, I wouldn't be having this issue. I said I was going to use my spare time to get flash ported properly but I don't have any spare time.