Thread: Why no mpstat?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
So share it?
The reason that I didn't outright say is because if you notice I said hopefully, meaning it is still a hypothesis. I can tell you what that hypothesis is. top is pretty flexible. FreeBSD doesn't appear to have the counters Linux has, but you do get totals in the top. What if I asked top for the 100,000. I would not get that many because there wouldn't be that many, which would mean I would get all of them.(It appears) The detail itself shows you the processor it runs on, as well as the % of... good question, probably the total, but I'm not that far yet. It's unlikely the totals of the detail will be the same for each processor. You also have the idle% on the top. By using the idle % at the top, and doing ratios with the detail data, one should be able to calculate a good approximation of the load for each cpu. With the user and application information available in the detail, there should be enough to rope what I need to find out what is going on, and thus provide intelligent monitoring and tweaking. The reason that I would not want to get too excited, is because I know of no monitoring program nor control panel that does this. Normally, if you have FreeBSD, you simply don't get near the information that you get with Linux, Solaris, and Windows. That could mean different things:
A) They never thought of it.
B) FreeBSD is the red headed step child of the market, and application developers don't want to add the code to their app and/or didn't care enough about it to come up with a solution.
C) There is a tool that already does this that I'm not aware of.
D) They already tried my hypothesis and it doesn't work well enough to use.

If it does work well enough to use, my mind is racing with possibilities. Even if it does work, for security reasons it cannot be left monolithic, thus that would need to be worked out as well. Thus, this is not a bird in hand, it's a bird in the bush.