View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta_Ridley View Post
Unfortunately I'm going to get negative from here on out. Probably the biggest annoyance is that not only did they make SMP support the default, but mandatory, at least on the i386 port. I could have lived with the developers making it the default, but making it mandatory means my systems, none of which have more than one processor, have to load the SMP code, which wastes RAM and is a source of potential problems that I shouldn't have to deal with since I'm not running multiprocessor machines. And from what I understand you can't even disable it when building a custom kernel since it's mandatory, as I stated earlier.
What problems you got from running this SMP setup on your boxes, propably the overhead/memory usage for SMP is so small, that NetBSD team made that decision to simplify code management, only SMP, KISS.

Quote:
The second-biggest annoyance to me is how they made the priority scheduling more Linux-like and made the linux option the default for mounting /proc. For the former, I've had bad experiences trying to nice a program only to have it up its priority, and all the priorities are now in the double digits, and some even reach the triple digits. Why was this necessary? I can forgive making the linux option the default on /proc since it's mainly used for emulating Linux programs, but it does seem to me to be one more little thing to make NetBSD more Linux-like, a direction I don't want it to go in. If I wanted it to, I'd use a Linux distribution as my primary OS.
About /proc and/or Linux compatibility, IMHO user should be asked at install process (like in FreeBSD) if he wants to use Linux or not.

Quote:
Also, the removal of 386 support in the i386 port seems to be antithetical to the NetBSD motto "Of course it runs NetBSD." I realize that not many people are running 386s these days, but was it really necessary to remove support for it? Did it really save that much on code that the developers had to remove support for the processor that NetBSD was originally made for?
Please ... who is using 386 these days? FreeBSD dropped that long time ago and NetBSD team did great thing doing that.

About my rants, I currently do not like the audio subsystem, it should be like in FreeBSD and/or OSS4.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd