View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2011
Package Pilot

After eight months I think I found a clue. I been blaming Gigabyte hardware for this problem, now with 2-strikes against them, but last night I notice this while playing with FBSD-9.0-current GENERIC.

The GIANT has been removed from the file (and since 7.2 i bet). Whatever it was replaced with don't seem to be work-around-the-board. I been telling the world for eight months that absolutely no Fedora OS versions will install on these boards and that FreeBSD mouse is gone. I guest nobody got the hint so would someone of conversation report this thread to FreeBSD-Development. Proof is in there own effort to investigate and test unless they already know. Being more into AMD from jump-street, FreeBSD 7.2 - 8.0 would not install on newer AMD machines back than, if any. I read thousands of questions with no solution in sight while googing for years. Eventually, it was solved on it own when FreeBSD 8.1 was released. That was just like yesterday to me. We just found our solution!

One year later, now I step into the same sh*t again? Am I'm the only person who own the great Gigabyte GA-890GPA not intended for Windows-7?

ADAPTIVE_GIANT and/or friend is MISSING:
Code:
## options ADAPTIVE_GIANT      # Giant mutex is adaptive.
## options STOP_NMI            # Stop CPUS using NMI instead of IPI
##
device      psm       # PS/2 mouse  --  need [GIANT-LOCKED] ???

It my bet that the FreeBSD manual won't tell anyone what GIANT was replaced with, how it works and why... and you better not ask at their forum ... but, sir, it's the only clue I got.

Last edited by sharris; 3rd May 2011 at 04:01 AM.