View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsduser View Post
I also forgot. The reason for wanting the boot/shutdown splash thingie is that sometimes other ppl in my family (all of them computer illiterates to the nth) want to use my computer and if it happens to be off, chances are they´ll freak out when they see the kernel text messages going on (they´re used to winxp´s boot screen and any type of text based boot screen makes them think the computer is broken). I say that because a few years ago (back when linux was at kernel 2.2 and linux devs had the "we hate graphical bootscreens" attitude) I installed linux in the family computer (didn´t have a computer for myself) next to the OEM preloaded win98 and one specially bad day my older sister turned the thing on and didn´t select "DOS" in lilo, she came running all freaked out thinking that I had broken the computer, and later that day I realized to my surprise that she booted into linux and got scared of the text based boot process. I had been trying to get a nice OS with fully graphical boot and shutdown process just to keep this from happening again (and no, teaching them how it works is not an option, for reasons I can´t grasp they just can´t learn anything related to Opensource software at all (they can´t even learn how to use firefox for christ sake, trying to get them to learn BSD is IMO pretty much impossible)).

Also, a question (a bit OT I guess) is there any issue with Ubuntu, or is just the forums (I´m not member in them, but I have visited a few times and it seems pretty much similar to other linux fora I have visited, and even the old bsdforums (R.I.P))?
1) Tell your family that nothing is broken, if a bunch of text spits out of the screen a few seconds after they turn it on. They don't need to understand what's going on.

2) I don't think anyone was referring to Ubuntu, as in the distribution; I certainly wasn't. It's just that Ubuntu and any variant thereof has a tendency to attract most newcomers to Unix. Eventually, those people start to think that they're kings of Unix and begin to help other people out, but in fact, they know next to nothing about Unix. So, while Ubuntu maybe a respectable distribution in its own right, the vast majority of users are not as experienced as they pretend to be on that forum. That creates a pretty pitiful environment of support for any true newcomer because they're likely to be misled. And now, it's not like any other Linux forum. LQ and Fedoraforums have tons of qualified, experienced people participating in discussions and helping out. The fact that a nearly 5 page thread did not have a single answer to the original question and that another long thread tried to prove that it's ok to run a GUI on a server anytime shows you how pathetic Ubuntu forums really is. Please stay as far away from there as possible. Come here; most people here could give you advice on almost any Unix variant there is, so there's really no need for you to even go there.