View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th February 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
What purpose might a person have for clicking on "Unanswered Threads?"
Actually, you're not the first who has mentioned that the "Unanswered Threads" category is either counter-intuitive, or doesn't match their expectations/needs.

Some have even remarked that clicking on "Unanswered Threads", & answering any threads there has bitten them because they were thinking the message was for one *BSD family member when in actuality it was for another.

Personally, I don't bother with "Unanswered Threads" at all as I use whether the icon to the right of each subforum is "lit" or dimmed to determine if there are posts/threads I haven't seen or want to see.

At the bottom of the site's home page following all subforae are two links:
  • "Mark Forums Read"
  • "View Forum Leaders"
Clicking "Mark Forums Read" clears out the list of unread messages in the stored cookie, so the next time I load the page, I will only see icons for subforae with newly arrived messages. It's not failsafe (as in when I use a different computer/browser...), but it works well enough for my needs.

FWIW. We all work the GUI differently.

Nevertheless, your point is valid. One of us at some time will look into the vBulletin documentation/code at some time to see what will be needed to change the behavior.