View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th March 2013
Arp Constable

Default Preparing for Sendmail rite of Passage

I was moderately successfull setting up sendmail, fetchmail and msmtp in FreeBSD but gave up on the project when several "DBATCH" builds failed to work.

I think I can duplicate the fetchmail setup to fetch mails from mail.earthlink to /var/mail/user and was happy with my muttrc configuration.

The challenge is to send smtp authenticated mail to smtpauth.earthlink.net on port 587. What I am unclear on is if I can avoid msmtp and configure sendmail with smarthost. I found an older openbsd howto. Earthlink does require a password but sasl is optional. Another option I found was to recompile sendmail with cyrus-sasl but this seems overly involved for my needs which is why I originally went with msmtp. I am also using current w/o a source tree although I think I could cvs one.

I also found recommendations for OpenSMTPD to replace sendmail but it looks like development has been in bursts.

Any recommendations as to how to tackle this with binary, current packages?

Edit: I was looking at openports and it looks like there is a development version of mutt with sasl support. My initial searches did not show much documentation or comments about the stability of the newer version so I am leaning toward msmtp.

Last edited by shep; 13th March 2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Mutt-sasl