View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2017
Fdisk Soldier

After reading your responses and re-reading my original post, I can see that I wasn't very clear about some things.

I have examined the output of dmesg(8) and wsconsctl(8) more closely. In both cases, there are two recognized keyboards (PC and USB). "PC" is the laptop keyboard; "USB" is the converted Apple keyboard.

Code:
$ dmesg

pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5 irq 1 irq 12
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
uhub3 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel Rate Matching Hub" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
uhidev0 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Griffin Technology, Inc. iMate, USB To ADB Adaptor" rev 1.00/3.70 addr 3
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
uhidev1 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 1 "Griffin Technology, Inc. iMate, USB To ADB Adaptor" rev 1.00/3.70 addr 3
uhidev1: iclass 3/1
Code:
$ doas wsconsctl -a

keyboard.type=pc-xt
keyboard1.type=usb
The strange thing is that the Apple keyboard/Griffin iMate combination works flawlessly, but only after the initial run of X. For some reason, the keyboard continues to work even after I quit X and return to the console. There is something about starting X that enables this keyboard.

How do I find out what X is doing that makes it possible for this keyboard to function and what do I need to configure to enable this keyboard at boot time?

I hope these are the right questions. My goal is to log in and work from the console immediately after booting without having to resort to the laptop keyboard.

Last edited by gustaf; 22nd September 2017 at 05:09 AM. Reason: clarity